Tuesday, March 12, 2013

My Shy Acre

We've been here about a week and I can hardly wait to get unpacked so I can start gardening! Well, that's not entirely true, I need to finish a handful of projects before I can start gardening, but I am beginning the garden planning stage.

The area behind the gate will be my garden (closest to the back door and just up and west from the well). In this picture, you are looking to the east where the morning sun peeks up over the Cascades in the distance. FULL sun exposure!

The initial plan is to make a pattern of raised beds for veggies and flowers with a lavender patch planted east of the main garden on top of "the bump". I would post a photo of "the bump" except I can't find my camera battery charger and my camera battery is nearly dead.

This morning I took Sweet Boy out to help me measure the garden patch. The pasture is about 61' x 83' with a bump at the lower part and three gates. Fully fenced. The section for the future raised beds is 35' x 30', but I could easily do 30' x 30' making it a square. Why only 30'? The approximate 30'x30' is actually level.

The lavender patch can also be 30'x30' and if I plant 5' on center, that's 7 rows of lavender 30' long over "the bump"! Whoohooo! I've grown lavender in the past, but I'd like to do some research on growing rows of lavender. I do know this:
-likes poor soil once established
-needs well drained soil
-requires full sun
-my favorite is 'Provence'
The fun part will be to decide what to plant and where to put them!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...